Founded in Rhode Island in the late 90s, Capital Grille has quickly grown into a high-end, much-loved restaurant. If you’re excited to experience the fantastic food and ambiance there, you’re not alone! However, like most highbrow restaurants, the Capital Grille has a policy on dress codes, and if you need to know what that policy is, you’ve come to the right place.
The official dress code for dining at the Capital Grille is formal or business casual. For men, this means anything from khakis and chinos to a black-tie outfit. For women, this could mean a neat skirt (or slacks) and blazer combo or a full-length gown. Heels and jewelry are a plus.
This article will cover the specific details of the Capital Grille dress code for men and for women. Keep reading to find out the outfits that’ll help you fit right in and what could have you sticking out like a sore thumb or get you turned back at the door outright!
Capital Grille Dress Code for Men
The dress code policy for men dining at the Capital Grille allows formal black-tie outfits and proper business casual dressing. A formal outfit for men usually includes a dress shirt, tuxedo, waistcoat, lapel, cumberbund, jacket, bow tie, a pair of tailored trousers, and dress shoes.
On the other hand, a business casual outfit is more laid back, allowing a pair of khakis, chinos, or even jeans instead of bespoke trousers and sneakers or loafers in the place of dress shoes.
The framework of a formal outfit for men is an age-old tradition. Like many traditions, there are pretty strict rules that you have to follow to pull it off right. To nail a black-tie outfit for your Capital Grille outing, here are guidelines to keep in mind:
- Keep things simple, especially with your accessories, but have your outfit tailored to perfection.
- Your jacket must be in a dark color, and black is usually the safest way to go for this. A deep tone like midnight blue can also look great, giving off an extra sleek aura that makes you stand out.
- In the spirit of keeping things simple, a great companion for the jacket is a classic minimalist white shirt with a turn-down collar. A lapel isn’t always necessary, but attaching one to your jacket can do a lot to enhance your look. The peak and shawl lapels are the most popular types, and you can opt for whichever one best compliments your look.
- The traditional neckwear for a formal outfit is a bow tie in the same color and shade as your jacket. You could be adventurous with your tie, but make sure to keep the tone dark.
- The classic round-toed patent-leather Oxfords and brogues have been around for centuries, but they’re still the top choice of dress shoes for the perfect black-tie look!
- Your trousers must be well-tailored and, like the bow tie, should be of the same color, shade, and texture as your jacket. If you opt for a velvet jacket, pair it with a grounding pair of black trousers.
Unlike the age-old formal outfit, the business casual look was only just created in the late 90s. Because it’s relatively new and constantly evolving, there’s still a fair amount of confusion around what exactly classifies as business casual.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing because it means that you get to release your inner adventurer and switch things up as much as possible without having to follow too many strict rules.
For a business casual outfit, choose a formal button-up dress shirt instead of a casual one so that the hem is long enough for you to tuck it in comfortably.
The fun part of the look is that instead of the traditional jacket, you can throw a solid-color blazer or sweater over the shirt. Choose a pair of casual pants that coordinate well with your shirt, and top it off with business casual shoes and a matching belt and watch to pull off your suave look.
Capital Grille Dress Code for Women
The Capital Grille dress code for women is formal and business casual. The traditional definition of a formal dining outfit is a floor-length gown, but the rules aren’t as strict these days. You could pull off a great formal look with a knee or calf-length dress, high heels, and jewelry.
For a business casual outfit, combine corporate pieces like a suit skirt and blazer with more casual tops and flats.
The rules for women are a lot more flexible, so by all means, be creative! Here are some guidelines to keep in mind while choosing your outfit:
- It’s safer to stick to neutral colors, especially with the corporate pieces in your business casual outfit.
- A dash of color mixed in with the neutral tones can make your outfit memorable. Don’t mix up patterns, and be extra careful with mixing bright colors.
- Your pants must be immaculate – wrinkles, frayed edges, and ripped seams are a red flag.
- If you’re opting for a business casual look, keep the neckline modest.
Dos and Don’ts of the Capital Grille Dress Code
Many clothing items are so controversial that whether or not they’re allowed has become a frequently-asked question for prospective diners at the Capital Grille. If you’ve found yourself confused about any of these looks, here are the answers to your questions:
- Casual clothes – The restaurant has a very relaxed atmosphere, but tank tops, T-shirts with obscenities printed on them, hats, sweatpants, and exposed underwear are not allowed.
- Jeans – You can wear a pair of non-ripped jeans. However, if you’d like to play safe and fit in easily, it would be best to pull off a “proper” outfit similar to a business casual look with your jeans.
- Sneakers – Sneakers are allowed. Again, if you’d like to wear sneakers, the safest path would be to pair them with an outfit similar to a business casual look.
You’re all set for your Capital Grille dining experience! Most diners at the Capital Grille come to celebrate a special event, so they’re usually dressed up. Getting through the door is different from looking and feeling the part, so if you’re confused at any point, choose to dress up.