If you’re thinking of getting a belly button piercing, there are some things you should know before scheduling a piercing appointment, especially if you wear leggings a lot. High-waisted leggings will irritate the piercing and delay the healing time, but low-waisted leggings should be fine.
Wearing high-waisted leggings is a yes as long as the piercing has healed. However, wearing them with belly button piercing is a no-no if your belly button piercing hasn’t healed. The tightness of the fabric will irritate the belly button piercing, which can cause infection.
Read on to learn more about whether or not it’s okay to wear high-waisted leggings with a belly button piercing and when you can wear them with a belly button piercing.
Avoid High-Waisted Leggings and Let Your Belly Button Heal
A belly button piercing is a skin piercing that sits just at the top of the navel in the fleshy part of the skin. Most piercers recommend a piece of jewelry that hangs down into the navel area. Many people experience pain and swelling at the piercing site, but ongoing bleeding is not common.
A dermatologist recommends wearing loose clothing and pants with low waistbands so that the piercing doesn’t get rubbed. Low-cut leggings and low-rise pants are good choices. It’s good to keep the area clear of fabric to heal quicker.
Reasons High-waisted Legging Can Irritate a Belly Button Piercing
Can you wear leggings with a new belly button piercing? You can wear them, but the best course is opting for loose clothing until the piercing has healed. If you wear high-waisted pants or leggings and notice any of the following, you should seek medical assistance.
- Rashy irritation: A rash is not a common side effect of a belly button piercing. The belly button piercing site should appear as normal skin tone and have minimal redness.
- Oozing: Some clear discharge is normal, but if you notice the oozing has a yellow or greenish tinge, this can be the start of an infection. Seek medical help right away.
- Infections: A medical professional recommends that you clean the area gently with soap and water twice daily if you suspect your piercing has become infected. Apply warm, moist packs to reduce irritation and swelling. If the superficial infection does not clear up in 2–3 days, seek medical help.
What To Wear With a New Belly Button Piercing
Some Reddit users caution against wearing high-waisted leggings and pants with a new belly button piercing. One recommended waiting until the piercing has healed to wear high-waisted clothing, while another said to have a barbell for the jewelry and not a belly ring.
A ring in the belly button can catch onto clothing and pull, causing the piercing not to heal properly. Tight high-waisted jeans or leggings can irritate a belly button piercing when you sit down. Avoiding large jewelry for this particular piercing makes wearing high-rise clothing okay.
Choices such as velour track pants, low-waisted leggings, and flannel pajama pants will be soft against the piercing to minimize irritation and pressure.
When Is It Safe To Wear High-Waisted Leggings After Piercing?
When can you wear high-waisted leggings with a belly button piercing?
It’s safe to wear high-waisted leggings after the piercing has healed, usually 6 months after the piercing. While the piercing is healing, avoid belly button jewelry. Also, make sure the pierced area is always clean — so no high-waisted leggings that can cause that area to sweat a lot.
Most piercing specialists recommend the following once you wear leggings again:
- Keep the activity in mind. When you wear high-waisted leggings once more, choose another looser clothing type if you’re going to get dirty or sweaty. Dirt and sweat can irritate the piercing site even after it has healed. If you are going to run, wear low-rise running shorts. When you head to the gym to lift weights, low-rise leggings or low-rise biker shorts work well.
- Wear safe accessories like a piece of barbell jewelry. Most piercers advise you to avoid belly button rings since they snag easily on high-waisted leggings. Choose a piece of barbell jewelry instead, as they’re the least likely to catch.
- Take care when dressing. Put on and take off your high-waisted leggings carefully to avoid pulling or tearing your belly button piercing. If you tear it badly, you might need to have the piercing done again in a different spot.
- Practice good hygiene. Clean the belly button piercing daily to remove lint and dirt. Wash the area with a saline solution or mild soap and water. Pat dry.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I Get a Keloid From Wearing High-Waisted Leggings With a Belly Button Piercing?
You can get a keloid from wearing high-waisted leggings before the piercing has healed, usually six months. A keloid is an overproduction of collagen that’s hard and rubbery. It’s scar tissue gone awry. Getting keloid from a belly button piercing isn’t common, but some people can get it.
These factors influence who is more likely to get keloids:
- Keloid history in your family
- 10-30 years of age
- Dark skin
How Important Is Good Aftercare for a Belly Button Piercing?
Good aftercare for a belly button piercing is crucial to healing because it will help your belly button piercing heal faster. A reputable piercer will recommend stainless steel jewelry that’s unlikely to irritate or cause an adverse reaction or infection.
It will help the healing go faster, so you can wear high-waisted leggings sooner.
Can You Wear Leggings With a New Belly Button Piercing if You Cover It?
You can wear leggings with a new belly button piercing if you cover your belly button piercing with a bandaid to reduce the friction. If you notice any discomfort while wearing high-waisted leggings, remove them and put on some loose clothing, like sweatpants or pajama pants instead.
The answer to “can you wear high-waisted leggings with a belly button piercing?” is yes and no. Yes, you can wear high-waisted leggings with a fully healed belly button piercing for at least six months. The other answer is you should not wear high-waisted leggings with a new belly button piercing due to rubbing from the fabric and the tightness that prevents air from reaching the piercing to aid healing.
Once your belly button piercing has healed, you can wear high-waisted leggings and other high-waisted pants as often as you want.